NonYouth Alliance

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

NonYouth Alliance
NonYouth Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Troop Levels

3 posters

Go down

Troop Levels Empty Troop Levels

Post  Apruchian Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:54 am

This might be a stupid question, but here it goes. What is the minimum total number of troops that each member should have on hand at all times? Also, break down numbers of each.

The reason I ask is because each of the available classes of troops seems to have very useful attributes for their purposes... yet, I hear more talk about archers and balistas than anything else. Knowing the break down and number of each unit would be hlepful so that we don't waste resources and time.

Lastly, I'm guessing that this is a subjective topic so there will probably be divergent views on this. That being said, once everyone that wants to puts in their input could we please come to an overall consensus on these numbers? Thanks! Question
Apruchian
Apruchian

Back to top Go down

Troop Levels Empty Re: Troop Levels

Post  Gareth the Great Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:08 am

i hate to point fingers, but Kengi (sorry keng) seems best qualified to develop a definative answer to your questions. I know he is working out the math when he can spare the time..Dalgaurd, our newest officer may be able to help as well. Math was never my strong suite, I'm more of a philosopher (for lack of a better term) thanks for the input, hopefully we can have a concensus soon.
Gareth the Great
Gareth the Great

Location : (this thing calculated my age after I entered my birthdate - turns out i'm a year younger than I thought i was. Absentmindedness has its advantages) Location: I'm 40miles North of Louisville. The TV weatherman calls it "Kentuckiana"

Back to top Go down

Post  Kengi Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:42 pm

Ah, this is another one with no "one" right answer. It does depend upon at what point you are in development; not just due to what is available, but also due to what need to be done at different stages.

Overall, archers and ballistae certainly are the most useful troops due to their long range. Because of the range, they get "first shot" before lessor range enemies can even make their first attack. If you have enough, you get zero losses that way.

As soon as I could, I concentrated on archers. Then, as soon as I could, I concentrated on ballistae. Next would be catapults, but since they require three Michaelangelo Scripts before you can start production, I'll probably never produce them.

This is also why archery research is so important. It gives you that extra stand-off range for the first volley.

Of course, don't forget to have enough scouts as well. You need to send quite a few (thousands) against higher level human players.

And you will need a lot of transports once you start raiding NPC towns. Hundreds per raid.

Finally, to actually conquer an enemy town, you need to take out the abatis which can only be done with horses. From what I've seen, that's just a matter of attrition, so you may end up going through hundreds or thousands of them.

I have no use for warriors. Workers can be useful for carrying back plunder when you are sending your archers for a speedy attack. Ballistae and transports are slow.

Swordsmen and pikemen are probably good if you need to defend a valley, but I don't rely upon valleys that much so don't have any experience with using them that way. I stopped producing them some time back. I guess they would also act as a good city defense if your gates are open, but I would prefer to rely upon the long-distance archer towers, archers and ballistae.

So, no "break-down," but, I hope, some decent and long-winded advice.
Kengi
Kengi

http://www.roadtripamerica.net/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum